Saturday, January 13, 2018

When Something Is Brought to You


Above (Pinterest, under the category of breakfast trays)

Recently I noticed the effect of having something handed to me.

While I am capable of helping myself to a cup of tea, there was a completely different and ennobling feeling when someone handed it to me.

Decades ago when I attended a decorum class for ladies, I learned of a gracious way to hand something to someone. Instead of roughly shoving the gift toward another person, we learned how to take the object, whether it was a book, a card, a cup of tea, flowers or a gift, and with a graceful motion, using the hand with palm up, or underhanded motion if you will, carefully waltz the object toward the person.

 This was for ladies of course. We certainly didn't insist men do it,  and one of the reasons for learning how to hand something that way to someone, was to become more graceful and ladylike. The point was not to become affectatious, but to keep from having mishaps and spills and accidents by using motions that were too abrupt.

Of course, how it is handed to you is not the main point of this post.  It doesn't really matter if something is awkwardly given. It is the transforming quality it has on your mood, the way it lifts your thinking, and brightens the moment when someone hands you something.


Most people enjoy going out to eat or staying in a hotel where things are done for them, because it makes them feel so special and pampered. It provides a temporary rest from their labors, and certainly most of us are often working and serving others. I believe it is the luxury hotel effect when someone hands you something pleasant.  I was amazed how a child's offering of handpicked wild flowers made me feel, like being transported to higher ground. And,  to the giver, the happy response from the recipient is a double delight.

One day when I wasn't feeling too great, my granddaughter  brought me a small tray with a tea cup, tea bag and a small container of hot water, along with one of her hand made get-get well notes.  I revived quite easily after that, even though I was perfectly capable and of preparing the tray myself.  There is just "something" about having it brought to me.



Another lady of my  acquaintance comes to the ladies class armed with a stack of tiny cellophane treat bags tied in silver or gold twist ties and ribbon, containing anything from pens and notepads to lip gloss and lotion, or a variety of her homemade baked items.  While all of us are familiar with Dollar Tree merchandise and have brought the same items home,  and can make our own breads and muffins, the way she prepares it as a gift and hands it to each lady, has an interesting, happy effect on us that transforms the countenance.

Mr. S. sometimes comes from his home office and hunts me down in whatever part of the house I disappear to, and says, "Can I bring you anything?"  I always accept, if it is convenient for him. If I ask for anything  that requires an ingredient that we have run out of, he will ask if I want him to go shopping and get it for me.  I don't always take him up on it because it's easy to take advantage of Mr. S.  If I said, "Oh yes, I am in the mood for twelve dancing clowns", Mr. S. would try to get them for me! He is just that accommodating.  He had a very good mother who taught him how how be kind and helpful and put the needs of others first.

It is so nice to have something handed to you. Is there a special ingredient in those common gifts of refreshments and small, useable, disposable items? Why do children love the inexpensive favors they get at celebrations and birthday parties?  It is the same with a homemaker, and so, even at home, when someone brings me any small thing (a branch of rosemary, a refreshing beverage, a tea cup)  I am swept away in a moment to a place of luxury.

Years ago there was a business that provided a subscription to a weekly gift of things used by homemakers, from personal-care items to home care, pretty kitchen towels and other things, even spices, etc.  While ladies at home can go out any time to the nearest market and get whatever they want, a package delivered to the door plucks the strings of the heart and plays a soothing melody for a long time. Having something handed to you is much different than going out and getting it.

Most people can afford to treat themselves to these things, but when someone hands them to you it adds an extra dimension to the enjoyment.  It is like being elevated to a high classed tea room or being a guest, but even more, there is a definite heavenly aura about it that stays with you for a long time.


2 comments:

Janet said...

Well stated! It is wonderful to be able to appreciate what someone brings you because it is a thought from their heart and usually made with love. I have so appreciated receiving the little things, a small gift, a sweet note, a special tasty treat, something handmade by others. It really warms the heart. I try to do that as often as possible. It is one of those things that encourages others, sometimes immensely. It is the experiential living-out of Philippians 4: 8-9. Thank you for posting this introspection. A pleasure to read your posts.

Lynn said...

This reminds me that I should have more gently draped the big quilt I was giving to my grandson as he lay on his sofa, with a cold, not feeling too well just last week. I draped it over him but didn't take time to also 'tuck' it in around him a little and see that it was arranged best for him. But he was happy to have it, just the same. He needed to be warmed up more.